Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week #11: Baptism Tonight and More to Come!

Hello Family!!!
We were sad we weren't able to get on the computer yesterday with all the libraries being closed, but we got permission to come to the library today and write to our families! I cannot begin to describe how happy I am to recieve all the letters and emails. Thank you so much to all of you. I realized I haven't even really mentioned the crazy tornado weather we've had out here! Fortunately, we haven't had any out here. But we have had a couple tornado warnings. It is pretty scary looking outside when it happens. I've never seen the sky get so dark. It's like the sun stopps shining. I remember one day it happened when we were all sitting in District Meeting and it was about twelve o'clock. As we looked outside, it slowly got darker and darker until it literally looked like night time. Then the sirens go off, meaning that there has been some kind of tornado seen somewhere. (whether a tiny funnel or bigger).. So, not to scare any of you, but we could definitely have a tornado here in Leavenworth sometime! ;)

We've been very sad to hear all about the destruction in Joplin though. One intersting thing about it is that the stake center there was leveled flat. But there was one wall still standing which had the tithing slips and a picture of the Savior on it. I guess people need to pay their tithing!! It was interesting to hear that though, we just hope we don't have to go through any of that ourselves!

Mom, thank you so much for your wonderful email! It sounds like there has been some crazy weather back in Utah too! Snow? I can't believe it! Thanks so much for all your support with Rickie, I know she's really going to apprecitate that letter from you. It's kinda funny though because she actually asked me this week if she could have YOUR email! So you might be getting an email from her soon! She has told me that she wants to talk to my family because she can't imagine sending her own son away somewhere for two years. She is doing really well though. We are still looking forward to her baptism on June 11! We have been a little concerned about her lately, her testimony doesn't seem quite as strong, and she seems to be continuing to have struggles in her life, but we will be working with her as we continue to help her prepare for that baptism!

We're very excited also for our baptism tonight! Kevin Vanhoozier is an awesome guy. He's told us this week how he really feels like this is right for him, and how grateful he is to know that. There is nothing like being able to testify to someone that it really is true, and that they are feeling the holy ghost telling them the same thing! We're so excited for the baptism tonight at 7:00! Also, it's been awesome to hear that Sunday went so well in the ward. That Book of Mormon challenge sounds really awesome! You will be able to be missionaries! The Book of Mormon is such a powerful tool in conversion, I know it will help other people so much as you share the gospel with them. I like what you said about writing your testimony in the front. That's such a good thing to do, because it really makes people realize how important it is to YOU. Thanks for sharing that, and for that scripture in 2 Nephi. I loved it!!

And Dad, thank YOU so much for the wonderful letter and email you sent. I truly love getting the mail. Same with Isaac. And Isaac, you got tickets to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat? That sounds pretty awesome! You'll have to tell me how it goes!! But dad, thank you for the update on Smallville as well! I cannot believe it's over, but it sounds like it was a pretty exciting finale! That's crazy that Lex came back!!

Also, everything's been going really well with Elder Taufa. It has been a little harder for some reason learning how to teach with him, but it's something we're really working on! We love singing together though. He plays his ukelele alot, and we're able to sing different hymns together. As well as the song, "Hallelujah". I think it's the one Joe sang when he was home actually! It's crazy how it's hard to remember things like that out here, because you're in a whole different world! :) But overall, things are going really well with him. I've been so blessed to have such good companions so far. I'm sure I'll get companions I don't get along with as well, because I haven't met a missionary who hasn't had one like that, but I guess we'll see! I'm only on my second transfer!

HEATHER, Wow. I will definitely have to write you a letter soon so I can better tell you everything I want to say. But I am just so proud of you, and so grateful for your powerful testimony. You have no idea how much of an example you are to other people. You are such a strong person. That email you sent meant so much to me, and I really love hearing that all is going so well. I'm glad that your talk in church went so well. I had to laugh when I read that you rewrote your talk in church, because that's just something that I can picture you doing! That's so awesome though. That means you were following the spirit, and when you're following the spirit, you're doing things right! I know that there WERE people there in sacrament meeting who needed to hear what you shared. I loved what you said about the definition of purpose. It is definitely true that we all should have a purpose. Your potential is so HUGE. ;) But really. You can perform miracles as you continue to work at being the best you can be. I'm so glad I have such an amazing example of a family to me back at home. It means the world.

And Brock, I'm just so proud of you as well. Sounds like things have been going well for you, and it was awesome to see those pictures! I really liked that one of Heather, Brock and Braydon and the more recent one. Those were so awesome. And I'm just so happy to see that you're all doing so well. Thanks for being those examples to all those around you. Brock, it sounds like your musical abilites are just growing more and more. Keep doing all you are doing, I know that people look up to you so much. Braydon, I love you so much buddy! I hope you are happy and excited for summer!

I have something funny to tell ya. I'm serving with elders right now who are not the most obedient. We'll put it that way. They don't seem to really care about the rules. So one day as we were driving to district meeting, they took out the Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD and put in a pop CD. I didn't know what it was until it came on. But guess what it was... Taylor Swift- Speak Now. I just had to laugh and then I told them to change it. I just thought it was funny that they were being rebellious by listening to Taylor Swift. :) It's hard sometimes feeling like the only one who wants to do what's right, but I hope they at least see an example in me that way. Ashley and Brynlee, I love both of you too! I hope you're doing really well!!

Alright, before I go, I'll share an experience that happened this week. Last Sunday at church, we had a young couple in our ward come up to us and introduced us to a lady they had brought with them to church. Her name is Stephanie Spencer. She's probably about thirty. I'm pretty sure she's divorced. But anyway, they told us that they would love to meet with us sometime, and Stephanie told us that she just felt "at home" going to church there. So we set up a time to meet with her in the members' home. A couple days later we went over to the house and just started talking to her. Stephanie had been over for dinner, so we just sat down at the table and started getting to know her. As we were all talking, she kept talking about her little girls and funny things that they would do, just random funny stories about them. It reminded me a lot of Ashley and Brynlee. She told us that she had three girls, and continued to tell us funny stories about them. Then I asked, "So, how old are they?" When I said that, I didn't know why, but it was like a fog entered into the room. It went really quite for a few seconds, then Sister Meadows, (the member) said, Stephanie actually lost all three of the girls last year in a car accident. I couldn't believe it. Stephanie had been talking about them as if they were still around, and she was so positive. Then she told us, "I know that they are somewhere safe with their Heavenly Father." As we sat down and began to teach her, the spirit was so strong. I promised her that her daughters ARE in a very safe place at this time. We continued to teach her more and more, and her excitement just seemed to grow. She said she couldn't put down the Book of Mormon as she read it the night before. We plan to meet with her again next week, where we plan to really talk to her about the Plan of Salvation, and how Heavenly Father truly has a plan for each of us. Hopefully we'll be able to get her set up with a baptismal date that day.


I know this is the church of Jesus Christ on the earth today. I'm so grateful every single day for my incredible family back at home. Heather, I loved how you said that you have grown to love the people out here. That means so much to me, because as you continue to pray for them, I know that they are feeling the love of their Heavenly Father more and more. I am constantly amazed by all the examples I have back at home. Thank you for constantly doing that. You are all constantly in my prayers. I know this church is really true. God really is our Heavenly Father, and when we rely on Him and our brother Jesus Christ, I know we will become all that we can and should be. I love you all so much.
-Elder Egan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment