Monday, June 6, 2011

Week #12: Hot Sticky Summer Has Arrived! And More Miracles :)

Dear Family,
It has been another wonderful week! Very full of miracles that we see
constantly, and I'm so grateful that we are able to witness the Lord's hand
in our work daily! I'll start of by saying thank you so much for the package
Mom, Scott and Braydon! I really appreciated getting those letters, it's so
nice to get mail during the week! It was really great to get that letter
from you Scott, and I loved reading your testimony, thanks for sending that.
I'll be sending you a letter here soon! And Braydon, thanks for your awesome
letter too! I loved it! I hope you are having a really great summer so far!
And thanks for the gum and chocolate. That's definitely one of my favorite
candy bars, the only problem is that it was liqued by the time I got it! But
I guess there's been snow in Utah lately, so the weather's probably been a
little different! ;)

This week the heat and humidity has begun. It  has been
so thick and disgusting every time we go outside. We switch every week from
bike to car and this last week has been our bike week and it has been so hot
and wet! I never realized how nice Utah weather was. It's nice here too
though, just really gross. :) Mom, thanks for sending that quote from
Whitney. I really like that. I can definitely relate to that right now
because I'm definitely serving with some pretty disobedient elders. It's
been pretty tough at times. I never realized before my mission how
disobedient missionaries can be at times. And Elder Taufa is really great. I
really do like him, but at the same time, he's one of those Elders who
literally wishes every day was P-Day. It's frustrating, but the good news is
that our companionship has been breaking records in our zone for teaching
people each week. We've really been seeking for the spirit each day, and
even though he doesn't always want to go out and teach, he's always glad we
did afterwards. If you stay close to the spirit, you can't go wrong. I'm
just trying to be an example to him and to the other elders in my district
the best that I can.

Also, that was very sad to hear about Stephanie Peterson! Wow... I don't
remember who she was, but I can't imagine a sudden death like that. That has
to be pretty hard, to say the least! But Mom, I'm glad you were able to be a
part of helping out with that. Sounds like being in Relief Society has still
been a really good experience for you. I'm sure you are an incredible leader
for them! I liked what you said about the lesson you taught and Elder
Eyring's talk! Those were some great analogies, thanks for sharing that.

Man, you guys have just been so busy lately! I hope everything is going well
still in your preparation for trek. That will be an amazing experience for
you guys! Braydon, sounds like you had fun at day camp! That's really cool!!
You did a 5 mile hike?? Wow! That's pretty amazing. Good job!

So, some things that happened this week, I saw a movie this week called The
Mountain of the Lord. It's all about the building of the Salt Lake Temple!
It was amazing to watch, and to see how much effort went into building it! I
would strongly recommend it.

We had an amazing baptism on Tuesday for Kevin Vanhoozier. Ever since I
first met him, I have just loved him. He was so happy and so excited the day
of his baptism. My companion has pictures on his camera that I'll send next
week. Brother VanHoozer was baptized by Brother Torres in the ward, who
first introduced him to the church. It was amazing to see him enter the
waters of baptism, he just had so much joy in it!

Also, the family we live with is amazing. I wish you all could meet the
Lyons. They are incredible people, and their testimonies are so strong. They
have a son who is 25, (which is the oldest you can be to serve a mission)
and hasn't really planned on going on a mission. He has always sort of
wanted to go, but just hasn't had the courage to actually submit the
paperwork and everything. But ever since we moved in with them, we've come
really close to him. His name is Joe. He's really cool and we have
constantly told him how great a mission is, and how he needs to just do it,
because it will bless his life. Anyway, he finally did it. He said he felt
it would be right to just go, because once he turns 26 it will be to late.
So, that was a couple weeks ago. The other night he got his mission call! As
me and Elder Taufa were going through the mail, it was pretty funny when we
saw the big white envelope, because we saw "Elder" on it, so thought it was
for one of us, then we saw "Joseph Lyon" and put it down. Then, not
thinking, we grabbed it again and got really excited when we realized it was
his call! It definitely brought back memories of getting my mission call.

Joe was so happy when he found out where he was going. He's been called to
serve in the Nevada Las Vegas mission! He's so happy and so excited, so it's
so good to look back and realize that he's going.

Besides all that, we've just had a really good week. Stephanie, who I
mentioned last week has been coming along really well. She was at church
yesterday and loved it. We're meeting with her again tomorrow!
Rickie is doing wonderfully. Mom, she REALLY has loved hearing about you,
and thank you again SO much for that testimony you sent her. It's so crazy
that you found her on Facebook, but she loved getting in touch with you. We
are getting so excited for her baptism coming up on Saturday. She is such an
amazing person, and I hope you all can meet her one day. She told us last
night that she really feels like we're her family. We feel like that too.

So, with that, I hope everything is going well with everybody back at home.
Dad and Melinda, I'm getting more and more excited to talk to you and all
the kids soon! I hope everything is going great with the whole family.

I want you all to know more than anything that I know the church is true. I
know I say that alot, but it is really true. We are so blessed to be a part
of this incredible gospel. There is nothing else like it on the face of the
earth, and the fact that we are members is truly a blessing. I can testify
that Joseph Smith was really a prophet of God, and that he saw God his
father and Jesus Christ, and that through the power of God, he translated
the Book of Mormon as a testament of Jesus Christ, of his reality. I love
being a missionary, and I love you all so much.
-Elder Egan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment